Montrose Child Care Centre is a not-for-profit centre located in Montrose Public School since 1992. We provide a well-balanced program closely supervised by qualified Registered Early Childhood Educators and Early Childhood Assistants. We are committed to providing a safe and stimulating environment where each child can thrive socially, physically, emotionally, and intellectually. We believe children are active learners; therefore, challenging opportunities are provided for individuals to problem solve, explore and make sense of the world around them. A safe and healthy environment is fundamental to all our program activities. Our goal is to create a program and environment that recognizes and meets each child as an individual with unique interests, culture, capabilities and aspirations.
The following supporting principles are recognized as areas of importance in programming:
- Developmentally Appropriate – Offers a variety of age appropriate planned and spontaneous activities. Based on understanding of child development, requires observation and individually responsive programming.
- Small Groups – Supports physical and emotional safety, facilitates individual learning, encourages intimacy and attachment, provides a context for positive guidance strategies.
- Relationships – Builds trusting relationships, focuses on high-quality interactions, educator take cues from children, reinforces pro-social skills and demonstrates positive role-modeling.
- Positive Environment – Allows children to make choices, creates aesthetically calm and pleasant rooms based upon the current interests, stimulates learning, encourages skill development and there is a natural flow to the placement of learning centres.
- Choice – Children direct their own learning, children have input to where they learn (outside, interest area, etc.), children decide when they want to learn, children choose their own play experiences and materials they want to explore.